Saturday, February 7, 2015

BOAT PROJECTS

Last year it was the engine.  Water pumps, heat exchanger, etc, etc, etc.  This year started with an informal rig inspection that confirmed what I had suspected.  The rig was suspect and being original, was over-ripe for being replaced.   During the inspection the expert told me that the pins in the rig where guaranteed for 6 years — but then she winked and said "but some get 10 years out of them".  She and I both knew the pins dated back to 1983.

If I had planned this out, I would have done it in reverse order. Rig, sail handling, then finally the sail cover.

But last fall, I ordered a new sail cover for the main replacing an aging and nearly non-functional stack pack.  It’s a Doyle cradle  cover and it works great.  Next I had the running rigging replaced.  Main, Jib, and Spinnaker halyards followed by the outhaul and new reef points.  The nice thing is the cradle cover is independent of the aging main sail so a new sail will fit nicely in the new cradle cover (the new sail is 2-3 years away, the existing sail still has life to it).

The only cool thing about the old stack pack was the pulley system that Dad had designed and built to zip this 18 foot zipper.  The guy that installed the cradle cover saw how it worked and told me ‘I’m going to retro fit a few boats and use this system for future builds for boats like yours’.  Nice work, Dad.

The standing rigging won’t be as easy.  The rig was inspected and there were 2 findings.  There’s a crack in the fitting that attaches the forestay to the hull and the compression post supporting the mast is corroding at the base.  Both need addressing in addition to replacing all the stays, shrouds and fittings. All need to be measured and custom made.

I’ll likely need to redo the ground tackle.  The anchor is fine — more than fine, actually.  The chain needs to be re-galvanized and I’ll need new anchor rode.  We’ll see how much the rigging is then decide whether the ground tackle is a this year thing or next year thing.

The top needs top needs to be cleaned and re-waterproofed.  Not expensive, but will take some elbow grease. It’s getting old, but still holds up well.  Put that in the category of cleaning up and extending rather than replace.

The aft rail and forward handholds need to be taken down to bare wood and re-done.  The rest of the woodwork needs a quick once over.

Unexpectedly I’m also getting a life raft and that will have to be installed.

My original plan was to put in solar panels and get a wind generator, but those will have to wait until the structural / safety issues are addressed and solved.

All this is about to happen — on the 18th, the mast will be pulled.  On the 24th the boat will be hauled. I’m hoping that nothing unexpected is found during the haul out.  The prop and shaft are a little worrisome, but we’ll see what shape they are in. The zincs have been maintained so not expecting bad news (oops, there I said it).

The boat is getting ready to go places.  I just don’t know where yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment