Monday, February 2, 2015

NOTHING BAD HAPPENED

The short story is nothing bad happened.  But it could have.

The trip up to Port Ludlow was great.  Motored up against mild northerlies, worked my way to the eastern side, raised the sails and had a nice line with main and jib set.  6 knots to windward, headed in almost the right direction.  Silent and reveled in utilizing only wind power to drive the boat north. 

Really a nice ride alternating under full sail where it would work, power when it didn’t.  Sorry, purists, but while I love sailing, ya gotta get where ya gotta go. 

I had some time after I arrived so I checked out the bullfrog dingy.  The steering was frozen.  I worked on it a bit and left the engine disconnected from the rod.  The beginning of my mistakes.

Fully enjoyable day enhanced by the evening meal of chowder supplied by several of the other Windworks  boats.  Great conversation on a variety of topics, truly a wonderful group of people.  The next morning included coffee with John followed by a killer meal. Truly a killer (no fruit or veges) meal that was absolutely wonderful.

One by one the boats left the dock headed back.  It's unclear when the small craft warnings popped up, but  the southerly had some authority to it.  The winds were higher than previously forecasted.  I raised my jib after clearing the lines and it’s a good thing as wind was piping up on the beam from Hood Canal.  The run to Foul weather bluff wasn’t too bad, but after rounding the bluff the wind was right on the nose.  Doused the jib and motored head long into building seas.

As I approached Point No Point, I put myself into a position I didn’t want to be in.  The waves were getting impressively big and I simply hadn’t expected it.  The dinghy was moving a bit more on the davits than it should have with the outboard turning back and forth.  That, more than anything else was worrying me as the boat pitched up and down.  There were some crashes below as various things were thrown about (again, my fault) but the only real option was to slug it out.  

There was some tidal action going on around the point as the waves were short stacked and huge.  A flood competing with southerly.   There were at least 3 waves where Cambria buried the bow completely and green water swept over the deck. The boat would shudder and then rise to the occasion.  There was so much up and down motion that the forward progress would slow to around 2 knots, the bow pitching high in the air then plummeting down and spray shooting out on both sides then rising again.

At one point I had that dreaded thought ‘this is when bad things happen’.  The boat is sound, but I was increasingly worried about the gyrations of the dinghy on the davits as well as the engine.   All it would take would be one fitting to fail and in those waves you’d have your hands full correcting the situation.   I have bolt cutters aboard, but they aren’t readily accessible.   I have several knives, but I wasn’t wearing one.   I shuddered at the thought of trying to pick up the dinghy, exposing my beam to 6-8 foot waves and doing so single handed.  I don’t think it could have been done.  

I wasn’t really concerned with my own safety – it was uncomfortable, but not unsafe.  I was concerned with harming the boat.

I alternated between veering off and quartering the waves and slugging it out straight into it.  My goal was not speed - it was making progress towards home.  There was a larger 49 Jeaneau Windworks boat with main up that was clearly ‘tacking’ back and forth across the sound, quartering the waves and making much better speed than I, but they were covering a lot of ground doing it.

As I approached Kingston, the waves had moderated slightly, but I was pretty much done.  I called Kingston and they had room and would assist me in docking.  I held a course that would take me to the marina, but as I did so the waves moderated a little more and my mood improved.   I checked down below and aside from things being tossed about there was no damage.

Abeam of Kingston, I made the decision to continue south, working in the lee of Jefferson Head then crossing the sound at a slight angle to the wind.  The 49’ boat that had been tacking back and forth was on the other side of the sound and we arrived at nearly the same time back at Shilshole.

Docking was uneventful save for my knee hitting my favorite tea mug which then broke — the only damage of the day.  I’m getting the routine down of single handed docking and it’s fairly easy.  I and been all set up to simply go to the fuel dock and wait for the wind to die, but as I entered the breakwater, the wind dropped significantly and I felt comfortable getting her into her home slip.

In retrospect, I should have prepared both the boat, and myself,  a little better.  I should have known about the tide rips around Pt no Pt.   I need to secure the bullfrog better and I’m addressing the rigging in a few weeks.   Cambria is a strong, seaworthy boat and proved it again today.

The skipper needs a little sharpening.

I've sailed up and down the inside passage.  Twice to Alaska, many times to the north end of Vancouver Island, around Vancouver Island and sailed over the Columbia bar.  I've had several sessions with Johnstone Strait, two of will be burned in my memory forever -- but while I learned (and perhaps re-learned) several lessons this weekend, the key one dates back to boy scout days.  Always be prepared.   A weekend jaunt on the sound, even when winds are forecasted light, can quickly change and in short order you can have your hands full.  Expect it.  

My ordeal paled in comparison to some of the other boats.   I did have a sheltered cockpit (despite the spray I never put on foul weather gear or boots).  I was not out in the elements for any extended time.  There were smaller boats with open cockpits and they had the tougher time.

The only saving grace was the super bowl loss.   The Hawks, 36 inches from a ‘re-pete’, made an ill advised pass and lost the name in the final seconds.

I think the awesome strength of the forces we had just witnessed put the game in a more proper perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Ron, I am thankful that your trip from Port Ludlow ended well, but I think it is worth reflecting about the risks you took, how it could have turned out worse, and what our members and fellow sailors can learn from your experience.

    First of all we all have to remember that on any trip out of port on our boats we are playing for keeps; it can quickly turn bad and things can go wrong. If they do, we are only a blink of an eye from disaster.

    Too many of us take this business of setting sail for granted, and even if we have had many successful passages under our belts, and, not to sound dramatic, but we should not become complacent; the next trip can always be our last. Even on a short trip from Ludlow to Shilshole one can encounter big waves and dangerous conditions.

    Knowing that, what can we do to be better prepared?

    First, let's remember that we have sailboats, they do better sailing than they do motoring. We can sail to windward, even in bad weather, much better than we can motor. Let's focus on preparing our boats for heavy weather sailing (Yes, even in Puget Sound) and make sure we know how we will reduce sail and set up the sheets and decks for a rough weather beat. If we depend on the motor one day that motor will quit and we will be in real trouble. Make it a habit to sail, even in the tough stuff, you will find a lot of satisfaction when you have put that boat into a nice groove and see that you can make it to port under sail.

    Second, we need to keep our boat shipshape and seaworthy. That includes proper stowage below...and on deck. One huge risk, and one huge lapse of seamanship, in my opinion, is to carry a dingy on davits astern. Besides handicapping the boat's performance with the weight aloft, the weight in the ends, and the extra windage, as you were aware, that dingy is a real liability in heavy seas. One knockdown or broken line or support tube, and, as you described, it would have been a real danger to yourself and your vessel.

    As we equip our boats and get them ready for cruising we are faced with many choices. Too often, in my opinion we choose convenience over seamanship. And we take the easy way out when the going gets tough.

    With those decisions we are edging closer to disaster. Maybe we will be lucky and nothing bad will happen, but I think real sailors depend on preparation and skills rather than luck.

    Fred Roswold, SV Wings, Puerto Vallarta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment and reinforcing the central reason I wrote the piece in the first place.

    Regarding the dinghy on davits it boils down to personal preferences and cruising styles. Totally understand your points for your style of cruising and don't take issue with them. You'd likely be horrified at the dinghy (bullfrogs are a bit heavier than an inflatable), but it will stay securely attached to the davits. It has been there for years and will stay there for years to come. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete